<< TOP >>
Who is eligible for a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
and prices.
How to obtain
Where exchange orders are sold.
How to turn in an exchange order to receive a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
How to make seat reservations
Notes regarding use
Stations with JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange offices.
A Quality Way to Tour Japan
Helpful infomation for JR travel.
Japan's national Holidays

Who is eligible for a JAPAN RAIL PASS?

The clerk at the location where you purchase your Exchange Order will explain the eligibility requirements for the JAPAN RAIL PASS. Be sure that you understand these requirements before purchasing an Exchange Order.
In the event that you are unable to receive a PASS because you fail to meet the eligibility requirements, the JR Group is not liable for any charges or fees associated with your use of JR lines while in Japan.
◆If you are unable to receive a PASS, you can return your Exchange Order to the overseas travel agency from which you purchased it for a refund. (*Fees apply.)
◆Questions concerning Exchange Orders should be directed to the travel agency from which you purchased your Exchange Order.

1. You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing,under the entry status of "temporary visitor."

"Temporary Visitor" entry status, according to Japanese Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for "sight-seeing, etc." If you apply for a "stay for sight-seeing" when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as "Temporary Visitor," as shown below. Only persons who have a passport bearing this stamp can use a JAPAN RAIL PASS.

Even if you visit Japan with an Exchange Order, to be turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, the exchange cannot be made unless you have "Temporary Visitor" status; if you enter Japan under any other official status, such as "Trainee," "Entertainer," or "Reentry Permit," you cannot change the Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, "Temporary Visitor" status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.
Examples of the "Temporary Visitor" entry
status stamp

*If you use an automated gate, no stamp will be applied to your passport. Either use a manned automated gate or ask a clerk to apply the stamp to your passport.
2. You are a Japanese national living in a country other than Japan (having entered the country on a Japanese passport),
  a.who has the right of permanent residence in that country
  b. who is married to a non-Japanese residing in a country other than Japan.
Note: Present the following documentation along with your Japanese passport when you purchase the Exchange Order and when you exchange it for a JAPAN RAIL PASS:
Persons meeting condition (a) must provide written proof of the following:
    ・Right of permanent residence*
    ・That they are living in a country other than Japan
Persons meeting condition (b) must provide written proof of the following:
     ・That they are living in a country other than Japan
     ・That they are married to a foreign national
     ・That their spouse (a foreign national) is living outside Japan
If an applicant is unable to provide written proof that he or she meets condition (a) or (b) and the clerk is unable to verify compliance using electronic data or other means, the PASS may be denied.
*Applicants’ residence certificate (for stays of five or more years) is subject to verification. For more information, please check with your travel agency.
How to obtain a JAPAN RAIL PASS
  A JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be purchased inside Japan.
You must purchase an Exchange Order from an authorized sales office or agent (see “Where exchange orders are sold”) before you come to Japan.